An exciting year of change - 2023 What a year this has been!! I will add a few snippets from 2022 to encapsulate where we are in December 2023. Last year we were fortunate enough to experience the FIFA World Cup in Qatar and what an event that was. We are not massive footy fans, but we did enjoy the games we went to, and the entire experience was super special. It was great not having boozy drunk crowds to contend with and the overall atmosphere was very pleasant, indeed. During this time, Steve was made aware of QatarGas being merged into Qatar Petroleum. Our experience in Qatar has been that anyone reaching retirement age (60 in Qatar) will be on the chopping block. Initially we were going to ride it out, but Steve was browsing LinkedIn and noticed a position being advertised in Scotland. As his father had grown up in Glasgow and we have wanted to do a short stint in the UK, we felt this might be a sign. We also wanted to be clos...
Popular posts from this blog
Mom
I remember as a little girl sitting on my bed with my feet tucked terrifyingly beneath me, praying desperately to God that if He just helped me make my legs move off the bed, into the ferocious ocean waters that were gusting around me with the shark fins and jaws snapping just millimeters away, those jaws that would tear me to pieces AND just helped me get to my Mom’s bed and safety that I would never again ask for anything …… And He would, my legs would race down the corridor, arms pushing my parent’s door open and I would creep into bed with my Mum. She would wrap her arms around me and hold me safely, ask if I had a bad dream and we would snuggle down into the safety of dry shark-less land and I would ask God to do the same for me the next time it happened…. Promising fervently never to ask for anything again and again and again. How my mother ever slept I have no idea. I lie awake tossing and turning when one of the kids joins us in bed and eventually drag myself to their roo...
Home from Home from Home
We are into our second week back at work and school and home number 1. When the realisation came that it is time to categories which place we are in at which time of the year! The more I think about it the more I know that the amount of time we spend in each place determines its number of importance of time spent in it. So Doha would be in the number 1 spot, Cyprus 2nd and South Africa 3rd. I suppose that would mean that I would now need to call Doha my home? Doha has brought with it a change in the focus of my life. I was brought up in a small mining town in the middle of South Africa, Welkom (meaning welcome in English). It is in the heart of the Free State in the middle of no where, with roundabouts and one traffic light. It. Was. Small. We would have family from all over South Africa around for Xmas holidays and spend the smoldering hot summer days lazing around the swimming pool or playing cricket or table tennis in the sprawling back garden. Else we ...


Comments